Monday, February 18, 2013

Dave's Kitchen - Blue Cornbread


Blue Cornbread


Since my daughter and her husband, Rebecca and Craig, came in and were willing
to grind the corn, I decided to make Blue Cornbread tonight.
 
Unground blue corn
 
They were surprised that
I we had so much corn stored and thought that a taste of the end product would help
convince them that, if anything, we may need more.
 
The grinding set-up and items used

They started grinding and when we had about 8 cups of coarse meal, I told
them it was enough to make 2 batches. One made with just cornmeal and
one made with the cornmeal, wheat flour and a little sugar added, some would
call the second batch Corn Muffins.
 
Finished, sifted cornmeal

My grandparents used to say, "The better you like your company, the finer
you grind the meal" so I sifted out the larger pieces and they reground them
into a finer meal, I like my family quite a bit.lol Anyway the end result was
a meal that was a little finer than what you would buy in the grocery store.
 
Leftover grits
 
The leftover larger pieces of corn were saved to make Grits with in the morning for
breakfast.


The Recipes I use are my own:

Old Fashioned Cornbread
3 cups cornmeal
3 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Vinegar water


Corn Muffins
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup wheat flour
3 eggs
2/3 cup oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar(depending on your preference)
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons baking powder
Vinegar water

Bake at 400 degrees until done, time will depend on the type of pan you use.

The baking soda isn't really necessary, I add it to make my bread taste like
my grandparents, they used only baking soda when they cooked. The vinegar
water is to replace milk, it makes the batter acidic enough to make sure the
leavening works. Mix in just enough of the vinegar to make a very stiff batter for
both recipes. The Old Fashioned cornbread has to have the batter thick enough
to hold the air bubbles from the leavening.
 

The baking pan I use is a new one, divided into 8 individual mini loaves, It's
easier for us to have the pre-made loaves instead of cutting a pan into squares
and damaging the coating on the baking dish. Theses pans of batter cooks in
in the 400 degree oven in about 25 minutes.

Note: Be careful with the Blue Corn batter, it can stain cloths if you get any on
them.
 
 
Thanks, Dave, for sharing this with us.  My mouth is watering!  I don't know whether to tackle this myself or just plan a visit to your part of the country!  Just kidding!  It's always helpful to know a delicious way to prepare stored food such as corn. 
Please leave comments and questions below or by email at:
 
Susan and the Poverty Prepping team

No comments:

Post a Comment