The first thing we thought of was to have my husband cut it with the weed-eater.
He carefully edged the weed-eater into the stalks near the ground, but they flew everywhere and were a disorganized tangle of stalks.
He next tried a scythe and it left them a little more organized but still difficult to sort out.
I finally ended up just breaking the heads off the stalks one at a time and putting them in buckets. It was slow work but I enjoyed being in the fall sunshine, and I spread it out over about a week. I went out and broke off wheat heads for half an hour to an hour, a couple times a day.
I tried scissors and while it did work, it wasn't any faster or easier than breaking the wheat heads off by hand. It made me think of the cotton-pickers of old, carrying a big sack and picking the cotton, one head at a time.