Thursday, January 24, 2013

Dave's Kitchen - Tamales from preps/food storage



      Today I made dinner with prep foods.  No preserving or anything, just cooking a meal completely from my food storage preps.  I have no idea what to call it, but I made Tamales with fresh-ground blue corn, seasoned canned pork tamale/enchilada filling, and wrapped in corn shucks from the corn I planted last spring.  I put them in the freezer and we eat one or two at a time as we get hungry for them, and today was the experiment.

      I steamed the tamales, and while they were in the steamer I made big flour tortillas on the lid of my 14-inch cast iron skillet.  I then wrapped the tamales in the tortilla, tied it closed with a bit of the corn shuck from the tamale, and deep fried it.

      I thought it would be a big failure but when I ate it with home-made salsa and serrano pepper paste, it was pertty darn good!  I made five more and we had them for supper tonight.  The tamales were of a size that one was a meal, so we have a couple of leftovers that are going in the fridge, and we will see how they are, reheated, tomorrow.

      One of those along with some sauce made from chili run through a blender, some spanish Rice, and maybe some refried beans,  and you would have a meal fit for company!



Thanks, david!  My mouth is watering just reading about it.

I've been having trouble uploading pictures in the past week or so, and that's made me less enthusiastic about fighting with my computer and blogspot.  I downloaded a different browser that is working better and I'm getting familiar with that and hope to be posting more on here now.  

Please leave comments and questions below, or email them to:
povertyprepping@yahoo.com

Susan

2 comments:

  1. You blow my mind, what can't you do! I've never made tortillas, actually, I've never made much of anything but your meals and your craziness in the kitchen is contagious! The dinner sounds great.......Nel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound wonderful! I have never made tamales, but I want to learn. Recipe?

    ReplyDelete