Saturday, August 18, 2012

Stories and suggestions

I love printing the comments and suggestions I get from readers!  Today I was delighted to find this one in my inbox:

"Was just reading your book and you have some fabulous ideas! A couple of tricks I wanted to share. We get soda bottles from different people and store things in them. I especially like to use them for storing water. And the small bottles are great for things like salt. Another idea is that some places put the hand/feet/toe warmers on clearance at the end of winter. You can use these instead of the little oxygen things to help store food longer. I am looking forward to getting time to sit down and read your blog!
You friend in prepping,
AS Johnson"

Thank you for sending that in.  It seems like soda bottles would be good storage containers because they're of a heavier plastic than water bottles or milk jugs.  Good suggestion.  Of course, after you wash them good, make sure you let them dry for a couple days! 

I'd never heard that about the hand warmers, but if they're oxygen-absorbing, that would work.  I'll have to look for some at the store myself!  I wish I had one right now so I could double-check for harmful chemicals or any other reason why they wouldn't be wise to use, but I don't have one.  So I'm publishing this and not really sure if it's safe. Please use caution until I have more information for you.

I also got an email from a reader named Sue that started with "Just read your book – gave me some ideas on things to start storing! Thanks... will be starting with rice and getting the 5 gallon buckets from our bakery ($0.50 each)."  She went on with some great suggestions for the new book, Poverty Prepping II, which will be included in it, along with credit to her for the ideas!  Thanks a bunch, Sue!  Keep the ideas coming, folks!

My favorite kind of emails from readers are those that give some insight into their lives.  It's interesting to read what people have been through or what prompted them to think what they eat, how to get it, and whether they should store food.

Here's one from a remarkable woman named Jackie, printed here with her permission:



"I have been a prepper for many years and am now a vegan, all plant no animal products of any kind and no fat added. I use every possible type of bean in my cooking along with brown rice. Been a gardener for 40 years. Retired from teaching at 71 and began propagating landscaping plants, herbs, veggie plants, growing out berries and fruit trees.
You mention having skills to barter with. I agree most definitely!!! Very big into self reliance. Not been on the militant survivalism. Learning wiring and plumbing now. Do woodworking, sewing, major food preservation-freezing, canning, drying, and know the basics of root cellaring, and if given physical assistance, can produce enough veggies for anyone on this mountain to eat plus I am the only one with a natural water supply for a garden. Not good at foraging!! Much to learn there, but will probably stick with what I can grow here and there on the land. Always looking for new edible plants to put in.
I have needed the food, cat food, dog food, cat litter, water, and bottled gas for my generator to save the food in the deep freezer. In the last two years, we have had two major ice and snow storms that tore down trees, electrical and phone poles, and cut the satellite Internet service and cell phones for extended periods of time. The first time was the infamous ice storm which brought utility workers from out of state to get us back on the grid-for me, 23 days with no electricity. The second time was a 17 inch snow in an area that normally sees one to three inches of snow at a time a couple of times a winter. Mostly, we see more freezing rain. The temperature with the 17 inches of snow was minus 15 degrees. Normally do not see temperatures below zero. My granddaughter and I made it through both storms just fine. The only things we lost were milk and eggs in the refrigerator."
 
 
Jackie, I really enjoyed reading this.  Thanks for letting me share it with everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment