Friday, September 20, 2013

Dave's Kitchen - Pickled Purslane




 

Recently I was part of a discussion on "Wild Edibles" when the
subject of Purslane came up, I knew what it was and have it
growing in and around my garden but never did more than
nibble at it on occasion. It was always a bit too slimy  and
bland tasting for my my liking so I pretty much ignored it.
However, I would not pull it as a weed or intentionally mow
over it while in the yard or garden.

I decided to try something that was suggested, so I went out
and picked several bags, trimmed out the tender parts, washed
it, then put it in the fridge to "firm" up. I thought about the
best way to pickle it and decided that it would probably do
best as a sweet pickle.  My concern was that it might be
a bit too slimy but I decided to give it a try anyway.

I emptied the bag out and chopped the stems and leaves into
a "relish" sized mix to get an idea of how many jars I'd need
and set it aside while I prepared the jars.

In each half pint jar I added:

1 Sliced Jalapeno Pepper
Several Cloves Fresh Sliced Garlic
1 Teaspoon Dried Dill
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Celery(dried)
6 Tablespoons Sugar

I then filled the jars with the chopped purslane and poured boiling
vinegar/water (2 parts vinegar-1 part water) into the jars, all the way
to the rim, leaving no headspace, then lidded the jars. I shook
them to make sure the ingredients mixed evenly, then put them on the
shelf to "Make" (the jars will seal as they cool).

I was concerned that the "slime" of the purslane would
be too heavy to be appetizing so I used a strong vinegar water
mix in the hopes it would cut it the way it does with pickled
Okra or Cactus.

After leaving it sit for about 2 weeks I decided it was time to
give it a try and "Daing", it was good!  From now on the
purslane I find growing in the yard and garden is going to
be carefully tended and gathered to make Sweet Pickle.

 
 
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Thank you, Dave, for this post.  It's nice to have you back.  Dave has a huge garden and this year he had 150 tomato plants...and that's just the tomatoes.  So he keeps insanely busy over the summer, and the Texas heat is not kind.
 
Please leave questions or comments below, or email us at povertyprepping@yahoo.com
 
Thanks!
Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment